Monday, March 17, 2008

Semper Fi Memorial Park Updates


Oh my goodness, the Memorial Park looks so awesome with its landscaping. I look forward to spring and the re-birth of all the trees and flowers. Let me take you for a walk.

But anyway, along the walk way, there are new markers, not only have the individual bricks paid the way for the paving but larger donations from groups and individuals to honor their marines.



Photobucket

I was touched to see three bricks dedicated to Marines lost in Iraq. So many of the bricks are dedicated to veterans from wars long ago. I was amazed as I looked down at this new stretch to see these three Corporals. The Lance Corporals and Corporals have taken the brunt of casualties in Iraq. These men are typically about 20 years old and are in their second year of service to the Corps. Is it by chance that I happened to look down and see their names? I don't know. I believe nothing is random - - so maybe I'll have to do some research on these three young men and tell you about them later.

Photobucket

4,000 additional bricks have been added, bringing the total so far to 11,000.
From the Taylor overlook, this is the walkway into the woods and up to the chapel site. The landscaping and the chrome letters on the wall are all new from my last visit.
"We are proud to claim the title of United States Marine"


Photobucket

Do you know what I particularly like about the landscaping? They used leaves for mulch. I really like the lines of the wall benches. Many of the trees have lights that will shine up through the leaves. I hope some of these are flowering trees. While they will kill my allergies, they are so beautiful to photograph. I'm anticipating spring to watch Mother Nature unwrap her gifts to us!


Photobucket

Photobucket

This is the site of the non-denominational chapel, below. Not much now but I will keep you abreast of the changes as they occur. It will certainly be beautiful. The plan is an open design with etched glass windows, stone walls and and natural wood beams and roof. It will seat about 70 people and will be available for small ceremonies such as funerals and weddings.

Photobucket

The chapel was designed by Fentress Architects of Denver. It is the centerpiece of the park. The funds for the Chapel were donated by Tim Day and his wife Sandy. Day served as a Captain of Marines from 1959 to 1962. He is the founder and chairman of Bar-S-Foods in Arizona.
Day credits the Marine Corps with teaching him values and leadership skills that have played significant roles in his success in business and continue to influence his life.

In addition to the 4,000 new bricks, 4 new monuments have been added. I have shared with you the Osprey Memorial Monument in an earlier post. Below is the monument dedicated to the "Soldiers of the Sea".


Photobucket

This monument is dedicated to 2/4, the Magnificent Bastards.

Photobucket

I'll have to get photos of the other monuments.

Below, is an overlook that branches off from the main walkway. I don't know if they are going to build a structure here or if it will just be the way it is.

This is the view of the museum from this overlook. In addition to the paved pathways, there are unpaved "rustic" switchback trails through the woods. At points on the paved paths and "rustic" paths will be "rally points" with a monument as its focal point.
Of course, as things blossom, I will share!

Photobucket

No comments: