Sunday, May 25, 2008

Tribute Bikes Honor Fallen Marines at Museum

DSCN7424

Beautiful.


That describes it all, beautiful bikes, beautiful day, beautiful visit at the Museum. I played guest on Saturday, one of my rare chances to roam the museum and not feel like a slacker.

The bike I'd like to tell you about first was designed by Lawrence Tremblay in honor of his son Joey and three other Marines from 3/25, 4th Battalion who lost their lives in Iraq. I talked to Mr. Tremblay briefly. I wish I had read the information on this bike prior to my visit because I would have paid more attention to the details that have been lovingly put into this machine.


DSCN7369


I caught the general designs such as the eagle clutching the banner in its claws and the images of the four fallen Marines.


DSCN7368 DSCN7372


But I missed the details, such as the challenge coins placed in the foot rest, the Marine Corps buttons from a dress uniform going up the tube (located under the gas tanks for all us non-biking readers) and the non-commissioned officer's sword acting as the suicide shifter. If you click on the first photo of this bike, you will be taken to my flickr account where you can choose the size of the photo. If you choose original, you will notice these details. You can read more about the making of this piece of roaring art work (yes, Mr. Tremblay rides the bike in rides) at Marine Tribute Bike.


While this bike honors all 48 Marines lost during 4th Battalion's deployment in 2005, the featured Marines are Corporal Joseph Tremblay, Corporal Bryan J. Richardson, Staff Sergeant Joseph Goodrich and Lance Corporal Ryan Kovacicek.



DSCN7377


Now, take a look at the some of the details on this Monster of a Bike It has a doubel gas tank and boy does its engine roar. When it was started up, it brought back childhood memories of my grandpa's boat, which sounded much the same.


DSCN7420


Take a look at the 50 cal trim and the ammo box mounted on front - - and the hand grenade foot rests. This bike that just screams "Go ahead, make my day!", honors Sgt. Joshua Frazier.


More bikes in the morning! Its been an incredible weekend!

1 comment:

eMOM said...

These photos are incredible. I wish I could have been there in person to see them. I can't wait to see the rest of the photos. The last time I was in DC for Memorial Day was the 1st Memorial Day after 9/11. It was amazing, powerful and unbelievably emotional. You're quite lucky to be there everday. Enjoy the rest of your day.