Sunday, November 23, 2008

The King's Chapel's New Home

DSC_2038


For over a year now, The King's Chapel has been building its new home. Today, we were able to hold our first service on site. It was so exciting!


We have been having services at local schools, ever since I started attending TKC. Service starts at 10 a.m. Usually, the sanctuary (school cafeteria) is empty at 10 a.m. and people start filing in as the worship band plays through a series of 5 or six songs. Today, it was a little different. I actually got there at 9:45 a.m. There were quite a few people already taking their seats. In fact, we had a full house. I think every seat was filled. There is room to add more seats, except, what you see is what we have for now. We may be standing room only in the near future.


DSC_1941


Below is our pastor and his wife after the service. How wonderful they must feel that everything came together after all those years.


DSC_2031 copy


This is our associate pastor and his wife. (you may remember them from last year's Marine Corps Ball pictures, my associate pastor was part of Major A's class at Quantico - - the Marine Corps is a small world).


DSC_2029 copy


Here is part of our praise band.


DSC_1959


The other half of the praise band.


DSC_1882


Then our worship singers.


DSC_1886


Yes, we have drums.


DSC_1889


The next few shots are of the congregation singing. I did get a couple shots of hands raised, however, I was shooting without my flash on and at a slower shutter speed, so those were all blurry.


DSC_1895 DSC_1897 DSC_1907


After we have praise and worship, the children are released to Sunday School and everyone greets each other. The one thing I really liked about TKC when I started coming was how friendly everyone was. It is often difficult for the worship leader to get us to go back to our seats so that our first lesson can be given.


DSC_1915


The next set of shots are of various groups in the congregation chatting with each other before the lesson. The Kings Chapel is kind of like a small town in the big city. People really care about each other here. I grew up in a small town and went to a small town church. I never experienced people caring about each other until I came here.


DSC_1914 DSC_1916 DSC_1920


Our first lesson is given by Dr. M. He is the father of out Pastor's wife. I really like his lessons. He took us verse by verse through Galatians this summer and I'd like to dig more into that book at some point this year.


DSC_1922


After Dr. M does his lesson, our Pastor reads the gospel and does the sermon. I really liked the next two photos. By the way, I do know what the sermon was on -- Nehemiah and building the wall.


DSC_1937


DSC_1942


Here is our sound guy.


DSC_1925


And our power point guy.


DSC_1935


This is the father of our associate pastor's wife (TKC really is a family thing, wouldn't expect so many family members to be attending the same church in the DC suburbs, would you?) He was the project manager for the construction of the church. He had a tough job.


DSC_1928


After church, we always have a snack table, there is a window to what in the future will be a kitchen. All the goodies were lined up. People could grab a cookie and coffee and head out of the sanctuary into the hall way.


DSC_1979


Here are the snack line servers.


DSC_1980


And of course, after service, there is more talking. People will stand around and chat with each other for an hour or so. Not sure what we'll do when we have to go to two services.


DSC_1973 DSC_1997 DSC_2028 DSC_1994


Just wanted to share with you a great day for The King's Chapel.


Yes, I also attend another church here in the DC area called McLean Bible Church. I know, kind of confusing. Both are great churches. McLean is much larger and has a singles program. I really like both, I get good solid Bible teaching and each provides me something else the other doesn't. So for now, I will continue attending both. It does make for a busy Sunday (only today, I was just at TKC). If you are looking for a church home in the Northern Virginia area, I have two good recommendations for you.

No comments: