Monday, December 29, 2008

Museum Tours, Stupid American, Pirates, Bleeding Money, Sleep Deprivation and Elliptical

Over the holiday weekend, I volunteered two days, the day after Christmas and this past Sunday. The day after a holiday is always a crap shoot. It could be completely dead or insanely busy. It was a good busy the day after Christmas. Lots of families and we were steady all day long. Sunday, it seemed more like fathers and sons, but was much busier than a normal Sunday.
With temperatures in the 70s here in DC, it seemed more like Easter weekend than Christmas weekend. Ironically, Easter weekend will probably be much colder than this Christmas weekend was.

I gave the morning and afternoon tours at the Museum on Sunday. Ack! The morning tour was a complete surprise. A lady walked up to me at 10 a.m. and asked if I was giving the tour. Huh? I don't know, no one told me I was. I knew one of the guys who was back at Iwo usually gave tours so I went back to ask him if he wanted to do the 10 a.m. "No, I'm getting over a cold, why don't you go ahead and do it."

I'll admit, that morning tour was shaky. If I know I'm going to give a tour, I kind of walk through the museum and quickly, in my head gather what I am going to say. I was so nervous on the morning tour. I always sweat when I speak in front of people, but I was sweating more than normal. The afternoon tour was much better. I had 'calmed' down. Relaxed. I've incorporated a story of two Marines, who in 2007 stood their ground at their guard post Ramadi and prevented a suicide truck bomber from making it to the security post building. General Kelly was asked by an Iraqi general why the Marines didn't run, his men ran and were alive. Gen. Kelly responded that his Marines couldn't run, that there were 30 other Marines at the security post building that were counting on them. I told that story after talking about the panel display on Beirut and use it to transition to another Marine who single handily stood his post - - Dan Dailey. Then I brought these stories up and added them to other stories about other Marines at Wake Island, Guadalcanal, Iwo Jima, Toktong Pass, Vietnam. The tours all end at the Medal of Honor Wall and in both tours, I had several people wiping tears from their eyes as I talked about Jason Dunham and how he didn't hesitate to cover the live grenade with his body - - because like all the other Marines that came before him, his Marines were counting on him.

I can't believe I talked for four hours! Holy cow!

Now for my Stupid American Award - - it goes to me. I mentioned in my last post about it being Hezbollah in Gaza - - its not - - its Hamas in the Gaza strip that have been firing rockets and mortars into Israel for the past week. Israel, as you know has responded with air strikes against Hamas related targets. Hezbollah, Hamas, Al Qada, the Taliban - - they are all the same in my book. Maybe I should just call them "The Bad Guys". By they way, how the heck to you spell Al Qada - - I see it spelled about 10 different ways. Is it like Shakespeare's rose, by any other spelling its still a terrorist organization?

O.k. now for the runner up Stupid American Award. Drum role please.... it goes to Senator John Kerry who said US forces should practice caution in following Somali pirates into Somalia. Why would we do that? I'm thinking our Navy vessels - - even little ole patrol boats could sink those Somali Pirates' arces. What do you think? Why pursue them? Just take them out.

Bleeding Money - - that would be me. The last month has been Aweful. Not only is it Christmas, thankfully all my shopping was done before Thanksgiving, but I have been hit with one thing after another and none of it has been under $200 dollars. All the electrical outlets going dead in my kitchen -- $250. Repairing a strip of siding that blew off in a windstorm - - $1300. A new catalytic converter and rear brakes for my car - - $750. New front tires - - $350 and now, new front brakes $350. I'm not going to say, "What next" because I don't want to get hit with "what next".

Needless to say, this has been causing some sleep issues. Oh for one solid night of 8 hours of sleep!

Maybe tonight. I spent an hour on the elliptical at the gym today. An attempt re-start my workout routine. I have crashed and burned on this over and over for the past 3 years now. I think it is contributing to my sleeplessness and lack of energy. I'm also having issues fitting into clothes - - some of them I just purchased a month ago. So this week, I'm going to make my attempt to get back into things and I'm going to try and find some online forums or websites that I can join so I can hold myself accountable. I just feel like garbage and lately, I look at myself in the mirror at the end of the day and I think, "Oh my gosh, I'm dying."

Now, I know we are all dying. But I have dark circles under my eyes, my eyes are sunken, my skin is pale, my hair is just limp and won't do anything.

So, yes, I'll probably be putting "get in better shape" and "eat healthier" on my list of New Year's resolutions.

Why is it SOOOOO hard to do things that are good for you?

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Sister, I hear you! I am struggling with those same things - worrying, money worries (which causes me to lose sleep too), and working out (and wanting to work out). I know you know this, but if you can keep up working out a few times a week, by the time 2 or 3 weeks have gone by, it is a "habit" and it stays part of your routine. I do mine in the late afternoon usually, but sometimes in the morning. Whenever I can fit it in. And I feel guilty when I don't fit it in. You'll get back to where you want to be, I know it. I believe it. Keep your chin up!! I am thinking of you...