Friday, November 27, 2009

On to Williamsburg - - The Haunted House

DSC_0343

My day in Williamsburg was also rainy. Above, the Governor's Mansion. One of the benefits of visiting Williamsburg in March is that it is NOT crowded. One of the disadvantages of visiting Williamsburg in March is that many of the places to eat are not open.

Back to the positive. Because it wasn't crowded, I got some great pictures and went on some almost private tours. So much fun...and I had such a different perspective going on tours after serving as a docent at the Museum. The "private" tour I went on was of the Peyton Randolph House. It is one of the most haunted of the houses in Williamsburg, according to my tour guide.

DSC_0485

Since I was the ONLY person on the tour, it was like walking through the house with a 'friend'. The tour guide and I even sat at the table here in the parlor and she shared the ghost stories with me. Yes, we sat at the table as its a reproduction, not a real antique. My tour guide appreciated the opportunity to sit down as her corset was tied a little to tight and she felt out of breath throughout the tour...and I think she may have been a little sick by the time we got here...or were we being followed by the ghost of the mistress of the house, Mrs. Randolph, pictured in the portrait at the right.

DSC_0475

It was neat sitting and chatting, again, I could imagine myself as the wife of a well-to-do merchant, visiting Mrs. Randolph for a cup of tea. According to the tour guide, both Mr. and Mrs. Randolf have made themselves visible in this room.


DSC_0476

After 'tea' we headed back to the kitchen. This long hallway, according to the tour guide, has had the most "ghostly" activity. Above the hallway were slave quaters for the house slaves. She said often times, as it grows dark, the sounds of footsteps or other knocking and banging can be heard above...when no one is up there.

DSC_0477

Below, the kitchen.

DSC_0478

Out in the court yard of the Randolf House...

DSC_0480

Peyton Randolph (1721-1775) served the Colony of Virginia in many of its highest offices. He was the first President of the Continental Congress. His father, Sir John Randolph, was the only colonial Virginian to be knighted. The senior Randolph died in the house in 1737. Peyton Randolph and his wife did not have any children. Randolph had had small pox as a young boy, this often times rendered people infertile. His nephews lived with the Peytons, I believe while attending college at William and Mary.

No comments: